Friday, March 28, 2014

Through the Bible in one year - Day 83

Psalm 83 1-3
O God, do not keep silence;
do not hold your peace or be still, O God!
For behold, your enemies make an uproar;
those who hate you have raised their heads.
They lay crafty plans against your people;
they consult together against your treasured ones.


I can relate to this Psalmist. I don't really listen to or read the news because I get tired. I feel bowed down by all the railing against God. His enemies do not keep silent they make a loud clamor and if I listened too often I would begin to feel oppressed, under attack or like Elijah when he complains to God that the people have killed all the prophets, and he is the only one left. This I know is not the case. It wasn't the case in Elijah's time and it isn't the case now. Our news looks for noteworthy things, things they say are different, and not the norm-so in reality, if God and good things really became every day news, then in fact things would be darker still.

So, let them rail against God, if they dare. As for me and my house...we will serve the Lord. Joshua said it a long time ago and it still works today.

There is another Psalm when the people complained against God - and to Moses and the Lord, it says 'gave them their desires. but sent a leanness to their souls. (Psalm 106:15) I pray that the Lord's people do not fall prey to crafty plots, and don't succumb to a leanness of their souls. Protect us, Lord.

If we read Nehemiah 9 we see just these things. The people act recklessly, rebelliously, and walk away from God and his law, until things go poorly for them and they turn back-and God is ever ready to forgive and bring them back.

Yet you have been righteous in all that has come upon us, for you have dealt faithfully and we have acted wickedly.  - Nehemiah 9:33

Keep us this day Lord, from acting wickedly. If we might act honorably in all we do, and with all whom we come in contact, the world would be more according to your law - one person at a time. Let it begin with me.


Today’s readings: Psalm 83, Exodus 27:20-28:43, Nehemiah 9, 1 Corinthians 1:18-31

No comments:

Post a Comment